Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A rich and delicious side dish, great for the holidays or anytime. Added note: if you are using regular table salt instead of kosher salt please use half as much...
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Use 1 tablespoon butter to butter a 9x9 or 9x13 baking dish.
- Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the milk, salt, and nutmeg and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the white sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Put the broccoli in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese and pour on the white sauce. Cover with the remaining cheese.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small skillet. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Cover the gratin with the breadcrumbs. Bake at 450 for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Excellent potluck choice and a great side to a festive entree. We served it with Pan-Fried Chicken Schnitzel-Style. Made for Top Favorites of 2009.
What can I say "Chesse and Broccoli" ..... They just go together so well, and this recipe is no exception. Lovely sauce and toasty breadcrumbs, just make this wonderful.
This made for a lovely side dish for our roast.
We found the sauce so thick it was distracting and all we could taste. I think next time I'll make a thinner white sauce and add a bit more cheese. Thanks loof! Made for ZWT8 trip to France.