Recipe by Sackville
I enjoyed this comforting dish with a baked chicken breast and a salad but it would also be good with some nice bread.
Top Review by Bev
Friedel, this is such a beautiful dish when made with red bell pepper! It is so pretty that it could easily be used to brighten up a holiday dinner table! We enjoyed this very much tonight, as I usually simply steam our broccoli. What a delightful change of pace! I used regular bread crumbs to mix with the cheese for the topping. Thank you so much, Friedel for posting this wonderful recipe!
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 slice thick bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put broccoli and pepper into a saucepan, add 3/4 cup water and most of butter.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until broccoli is just tender.
- Use remaining butter to grease a casserole dish.
- Whisk the eggs and milk in the casserole dish and mix in 3/4 of the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in broccoli and peppers with 1 spoonful of its cooking juice.
- Blitz the bread to make crumbs and then mix crumbs with remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until the dish has set and the top is golden.