Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This broccoli is X rated...X for Xtra hot. But it's easy to tame down by reducing the amount of cayenne and then having a mildly hot and tasty vegetable.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and saute the shallots and garlic for just a few minutes.
- Add the broccoli and the cayenne, tossing until combined and coated with the oil.
- Add the other ingredients and mix together.
- Bring the broccoli to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer, uncovered for 3-5 minutes until crisp tender.
- Please do not over cook the broccoli!
- Remove just the broccoli from the skillet, leaving the liquid in the pan.
- Keep broccoli warm.
- Boil the remaining liquid until it is reduced to 1/2 cup and pour it over the broccoli.
- The use of the cayenne makes this dish HOT. Reduce the amount to 1/2 tsp or even 1/4 tsp if you have a tender tongue, and the recipe will be perfect for you.
Geema, I loved the recipe, brocolli and spinach are the only vegetables I have to pick at this time of year on my veg patch in London. so I was pleased with the brocolli recipe, I altered it as there is only two of us, it made the brocolli really tasty, Thankyou! adeliene
Geema, this turned out great! I used onion instead of shallots and about 3/4 tsp. cayenne. Perfectly spicy for me! Thanks for the reminder to not overcook!! I tend to do that with broccoli but SO glad I didn't here. Also, added a squirt of Bragg's Liquid Aminos for just a little more flavor. I tend to over-condiment everything I eat.