Recipe by marykaia
I found this recipe in the newspaper recently and made for supper the other night. Huge hit as it had the broccoli my husband loves and the stuffing my kids like.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) packagechicken-flavored seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli spears, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package neufchatel cheese or 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Combine water and 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in stuffing mix and let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon stuffing around the edge of baking dish, leaving a well in the center. Arrange broccoli spears in well.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add bouillon.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly. Whisk in cream cheese and salt, mixing until smooth. Stir in onion. Pour sauce over broccoli. Sprinkle with cheddar and paprika.
- Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer.