I found this recipe in the newspaper recently and made for supper the other night. Huge hit as it had the broccoli my husband loves and the stuffing my kids like.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) packagechicken-flavored seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli spears, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package neufchatel cheese or 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Combine water and 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in stuffing mix and let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon stuffing around the edge of baking dish, leaving a well in the center. Arrange broccoli spears in well.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add bouillon.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly. Whisk in cream cheese and salt, mixing until smooth. Stir in onion. Pour sauce over broccoli. Sprinkle with cheddar and paprika.
- Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer.
Wow! Not only "elegant" but great tasting, as well. Takes the simple broccoli to new heights. Thnx for sharing this delicious recipe, marykaia. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
This sounds so very good...will make it next week! I'll let you know how it was...thanks for posting! Edit April 9th...made this for dinner last night and it was delish...no leftovers that I was hoping for lol! Thanks for posting this great recipe...I'm sure to put this in our rotation!