Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was my Aunt's recipe. I am always requested to bring this recipe for covered dishes. The taste is wonderful!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 2 cups croutons, for later
- 6 tablespoons melted butter, for later
- Cook broccoli according to package in salted water.
- Drain, saving 2/3 cup water for later (or add water to equal 2/3 cup).
- Put broccoli in bottom of 1-1/2- 2quart casserole.
- In pan, melt 1/2 cup butter, blend in flour and chicken cubes stirring to make smooth paste.
- Add milk, and cheese until smooth.
- Pour over broccoli.
- Mix the 2/3 cup water and 6 Tbsp melted butter together, pour over about 2 cups croutons, mix lightly with broccoli in casserole, cover.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Liked this. Very rich but not too much.
This was just fantastic! I used cheddar as I don't care for velveeta. Husband loved it too.Thanks for the great posting.
Excellent flavor! The cheese sauce that holds this casserole together is just wonderful compared to the usual canned soups. I used herb seasoned croutons which gave a fantastic flavor in combination with the sauce. I made no substitutions. I halved the recipe which was sufficient for the two of us. I will prepare this dish again. Prepared for the 2008 Comfort Food event in the Photo Forum. Thanks Paula for sharing this recipe!