Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is an extremely flavourful curry. Vegetarians can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Kids really like this too (with less pepper). Serve with basmati as a side to a more elaborate dinner, or alone, for a simple meal.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried coconut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Heat butter in saucepan and saute onions until well browned.
- Add chili powder, pepper, cumin, coriander and turmeric.
- Stir and cook, 1 minute.
- Add lentils, lemon juice, broth and coconut if using.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45-55 minutes (if mixture is too thick, you may need to add a little hot water).
- Steam broccoli for 7 minutes.
- Plunge broccoli in cold water and set aside.
- Remove 1/3 cup of liquid from the lentil mixture.
- Add to flour to form a smooth paste.
- Return to pan; add broccoli, salt and nuts if using.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over Basmati rice.
We love this recipe and make it quite regularly. Instead of using butter or ghee I generally use 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, or margarine. I have substituted 2 teaspoons of garam masala for the black pepper and chili powder, and added a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne. I too use 4 cups of water, and don't bother adding any flour. We prefer to omit the coconut and the added salt, but include the cashews. Thanks for posting such a delcious and healthy recipe!
This is such a unique way to cook broccoli! The only change I made was to use cornstarch to thicken up the sauce instead of flour. Hope this is helpful to those who want a gluten-free version of this recipe.
Delicious recipe! I really enjoyed this for dinner last night. I served with the basmati, but I think next time I would serve without. I used No Chicken Broth (vegetarian chicken broth substitute) and this worked fine, as well as the optional coconut and cashews. I did not change the spice combinations. I especially loved the broccoli in this dish. I would have this again. Thanks!