Cook1 hr 10 mins
This is an extremely flavourful curry. Vegetarians can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Kids really like this too (with less pepper). Serve with basmati as a side to a more elaborate dinner, or alone, for a simple meal.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried coconut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Heat butter in saucepan and saute onions until well browned.
- Add chili powder, pepper, cumin, coriander and turmeric.
- Stir and cook, 1 minute.
- Add lentils, lemon juice, broth and coconut if using.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45-55 minutes (if mixture is too thick, you may need to add a little hot water).
- Steam broccoli for 7 minutes.
- Plunge broccoli in cold water and set aside.
- Remove 1/3 cup of liquid from the lentil mixture.
- Add to flour to form a smooth paste.
- Return to pan; add broccoli, salt and nuts if using.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over Basmati rice.