Cook1 hr 10 mins
This is an extremely flavourful curry. Vegetarians can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Kids really like this too (with less pepper). Serve with basmati as a side to a more elaborate dinner, or alone, for a simple meal.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried coconut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Heat butter in saucepan and saute onions until well browned.
- Add chili powder, pepper, cumin, coriander and turmeric.
- Stir and cook, 1 minute.
- Add lentils, lemon juice, broth and coconut if using.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45-55 minutes (if mixture is too thick, you may need to add a little hot water).
- Steam broccoli for 7 minutes.
- Plunge broccoli in cold water and set aside.
- Remove 1/3 cup of liquid from the lentil mixture.
- Add to flour to form a smooth paste.
- Return to pan; add broccoli, salt and nuts if using.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over Basmati rice.
We love this recipe and make it quite regularly. Instead of using butter or ghee I generally use 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, or margarine. I have substituted 2 teaspoons of garam masala for the black pepper and chili powder, and added a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne. I too use 4 cups of water, and don't bother adding any flour. We prefer to omit the coconut and the added salt, but include the cashews. Thanks for posting such a delcious and healthy recipe!
Delicious recipe! I really enjoyed this for dinner last night. I served with the basmati, but I think next time I would serve without. I used No Chicken Broth (vegetarian chicken broth substitute) and this worked fine, as well as the optional coconut and cashews. I did not change the spice combinations. I especially loved the broccoli in this dish. I would have this again. Thanks!
I really like this broccoli is this which I was initially skeptical about. It wasn't quite as an intense flavor as I as hoping for but that might of been because of the broth I used. Regardless, enjoyed by both of us.