Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is an extremely flavourful curry. Vegetarians can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Kids really like this too (with less pepper). Serve with basmati as a side to a more elaborate dinner, or alone, for a simple meal.
Top Review by vlseno
Wow! Easy and delicious. I didn't even have the right spices (my husband used all the Chili Pwd yesterday). It's still awesome and double helping awesome! I used Gram Marsala in place of Chili Pwd -- didn't use Turmeric either. Served without the rice -- rice spikes blood sugar too much so I rarely use it. Thank you for this recipe, it's so gratifying to find a staple like this, make a big batch and eat from it all week.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried coconut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in saucepan and saute onions until well browned.
- Add chili powder, pepper, cumin, coriander and turmeric.
- Stir and cook, 1 minute.
- Add lentils, lemon juice, broth and coconut if using.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45-55 minutes (if mixture is too thick, you may need to add a little hot water).
- Steam broccoli for 7 minutes.
- Plunge broccoli in cold water and set aside.
- Remove 1/3 cup of liquid from the lentil mixture.
- Add to flour to form a smooth paste.
- Return to pan; add broccoli, salt and nuts if using.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over Basmati rice.