1/6 Photos of Broccoli Dal Curry
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is an extremely flavourful curry. Vegetarians can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Kids really like this too (with less pepper). Serve with basmati as a side to a more elaborate dinner, or alone, for a simple meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried coconut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1Heat butter in saucepan and saute onions until well browned.
- 2Add chili powder, pepper, cumin, coriander and turmeric.
- 3Stir and cook, 1 minute.
- 4Add lentils, lemon juice, broth and coconut if using.
- 5Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45-55 minutes (if mixture is too thick, you may need to add a little hot water).
- 6Steam broccoli for 7 minutes.
- 7Plunge broccoli in cold water and set aside.
- 8Remove 1/3 cup of liquid from the lentil mixture.
- 9Add to flour to form a smooth paste.
- 10Return to pan; add broccoli, salt and nuts if using.
- 11Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 12Serve over Basmati rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Dal Curry
Serving Size: 1 (669 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.0
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 1362.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 25.7 g