Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I use this quick and easy side dish to serve to those people who claim to not like vegetables...especially broccoli. This recipe works just as well with cauliflower, kale, zucchini, even fennel and onions.
- 1 lb broccoli
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- steam or boil broccoli until tender, yet crispy.
- Drain and then dry broccoli with paper towels.
- Coarsely chop and place in a buttered 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Scatter cheese on top of broccoli.
- Mix the eggs, milk, butter, and seasonings together in a medium bowl.
- Pour custard over broccoli and cheese, and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.
It is tasty, however could use a bit of kick. There was also a bunch of watery liquid in the bottom.
Quick and Delicious! I used 1% milk and it was delicious. A Keeper!
A delicious side dish. Apart from adding 4 cloves of minced garlic and 1 medium-sized onion, also minced (I sautéed both for about 3 minutes), I made this exactly to the recipe. Very yummy. Thanks for sharing. I'll be making this again.