Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make. Makes a great lunch.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- In 4-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, thyme and sugar.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, broccoli and corn. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer 5 -7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in FF half-and-half and cheese. Cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes or until hot - do NOT boil.
Very tasty! Mine didn't end up nearly as healthy as the original, as I couldn't find fat free half-and-half, and I added about 200g of cubed cooked ham while cooking the onions to give it a little protein. I'm looking forward to eating the leftovers tomorrow for lunch!