Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This soup was AMAZING and full of flavor. The original recipe added 1/2 cup of cooked shrimp into the chowder, to make a full meal, but for vegetarians, the chowder itself was perfect on its own. I have listed dairy and non-dairy alternatives for two of the ingredients listed below, for either vegetarians or vegans. I also added 1 tsp of a spice called Sandwich Sprinkle made by Penzeys. I listed garlic powder in the ingredient list below as a suitable alternative
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk or 1⁄2 cup soymilk, plain
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream or 1⁄2 cup soy yogurt
- Combine diced potatoes, broccoli, shallot, vegetable broth thyme and garlic powder in a medium pot, cover and cook on medium until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Pour soup into a blender and puree until smooth. (or immersion blender would be perfect here!).
- Return soup to pot.
- Add skim or soy milk, sour cream or soy yogurt, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until hot, another 3 minutes. Do not let boil.