Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
You could add rotisserie chicken to this soup if you like. Recipe is from Food Network Magazine.
- 2 slices bacon, strips thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 4 small red potatoes, quartered (about 6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 head broccoli, broken into florets, stem peeled and sliced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 baguette, sliced into 8 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- Cook the bacon in the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat until it renders slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery seed and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Scatter the flour over the mixture and stir to coat.
- Gradually add the broth and the milk, whisking until smooth.
- Add the potatoes and sliced broccoli stem; increase the heat to medium and simmer, covered, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and season with 1/2 t salt.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, at a rapid simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, position a rack in the upper part of the oven and preheat the broiler to high.
- Spread the mustard on each piece of baguette and top with a cheddar slice.
- Place on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese melts; serve with the soup.