Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
You could add rotisserie chicken to this soup if you like. Recipe is from Food Network Magazine.
Make and share this Broccoli Chowder With Cheddar Toasts recipe from Food.com.
- 2 slices bacon, strips thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 4 small red potatoes, quartered (about 6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 head broccoli, broken into florets, stem peeled and sliced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 baguette, sliced into 8 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- Cook the bacon in the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat until it renders slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery seed and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Scatter the flour over the mixture and stir to coat.
- Gradually add the broth and the milk, whisking until smooth.
- Add the potatoes and sliced broccoli stem; increase the heat to medium and simmer, covered, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and season with 1/2 t salt.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, at a rapid simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, position a rack in the upper part of the oven and preheat the broiler to high.
- Spread the mustard on each piece of baguette and top with a cheddar slice.
- Place on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese melts; serve with the soup.