Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe is by Mary Lucile Jordan (deceased), County Extension Coordinator with the Etowah County office of the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, and was published in an online edition of The Gadsden Times.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup French-fried onions (optional)
- In a 2-quart saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender ~ add 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Add frozen broccoli; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until tender. Do not drain.
- Stir in soup, milk, cheese and pepper. Simmer and stir until heated through ~ 2-3 minutes.
- Top each serving with french-fried onions. Makes 4 servings.
I made a half amount to go along individual mac and cheese ramekins today for lunch. I have to confess that I had just broccoli stalks left in the fridge I peeled those and used them in this soup and pureed it well. It made a lovely smooth broccoli soup and was a great use for the stalks. :D
What a wonderful quick and easy soup! I think I needed an extra 5 to 7 minutes for my broccoli to get tender....maybe I should have thawed the broccoli before adding? I served mine with an extra sprinkle of cheese and the french-fried onions. Yummy quick meal after work! Thanks for sharing! Made for Photo Tag.
Loved it, but did make some changes to suit my needs. I used fresh broccoli, soy milk and cream of celery soup. My stove isn't working yet, so used the crockpot. Even with all the changes this was so good. Thanks! Made for 123 Hit Wonders game.