Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
This recipe is by Mary Lucile Jordan (deceased), County Extension Coordinator with the Etowah County office of the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, and was published in an online edition of The Gadsden Times.
Top Review by Annacia
I made a half amount to go along individual mac and cheese ramekins today for lunch. I have to confess that I had just broccoli stalks left in the fridge I peeled those and used them in this soup and pureed it well. It made a lovely smooth broccoli soup and was a great use for the stalks. :D
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup French-fried onions (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-quart saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender ~ add 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Add frozen broccoli; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until tender. Do not drain.
- Stir in soup, milk, cheese and pepper. Simmer and stir until heated through ~ 2-3 minutes.
- Top each serving with french-fried onions. Makes 4 servings.