Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the NY Times. Here for safekeeping.
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli floret
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15 1⁄2 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cumin (to taste)
- 2 -4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini
- Steam the broccoli for five minutes until tender but still bright. Refresh with cold water and drain on paper towels.
- Turn on a food processor fitted with the steel blade, and drop in the garlic. When the garlic is minced and adhering to the sides of the bowl, stop the machine and scrape down the bowl. Add the broccoli, chickpeas and cumin, and process to a coarse purée. Turn off the machine, and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Turn on the machine again, and pour in the lemon juice and olive oil with the machine running. Process until smooth. Add the tahini and salt to taste, and blend well. Serve with bread, croutons or pita, or as a dip with vegetables.