Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Feeling under the weather, and starving, I mixed up a batch of "cold remedy" soup! With garlic and cayenne pepper, it is sure to chase away the shivers!! Ready in 15 minutes!! I like to top it with garlic croutons :) Recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons Cheese Whiz
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Steam broccoli in microwaveable bowl with 1/4 cup water, for about 3-5 minutes. Cool a bit, mash with a fork.
- In a small saucepan, melt oil and butter.
- Saute onion on low heat, with salt and pepper for 2 minutes, add garlic, stir in flour to make a roux. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Add mashed up broccoli.
- Add cheeses, and cook until it thickens. Sprinkle with desired cayenne pepper.
- You may wish to add a splash of Worcestershire sauce for an added zip!
- If you dislike Cheese Whiz, use an extra cup of shredded cheddar.
This soup is so easy and very tasty! The only flaw with it is that it only makes two servings! Luckily, it's easily doubled...I used Velveeta cheese instead of the cheese whiz because that's what I had on hand and I added closer to 3 cups of milk because my soup was getting really thick. I also threw in some chopped fresh spinach at the very end because I had some on hand. Great recipe, thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Spring 2010.
Quick and easy made soup. Great tasting. Thanks for posting.
Very good soup! I will definitely make this again.