This is real comfort food for me. Very warming on a cold day.
Make and share this Broccoli Cheese Soup for the Soul recipe from Food.com.
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth, broccoli (about 1 med. head will yield 3 cups chopped broccoli) and celery to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- With a whisk or wooden spoon, add milk gradually, beating constantly to prevent lumping.
- (It will thicken like paste at first; keep beating in milk to thin it.) Bring to a boil.
- If you want a smooth soup, puree broccoli in blender.
- Now add broccoli mixture (smooth or chunky) into large saucepan with the milk.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Serve immediately.