Recipe by Lennie
This is real comfort food for me. Very warming on a cold day.
Top Review by Cathy in Ontario
This recipe says "soup for the soul"....and THAT it IS!! My husband and I just loved it, and it has become a very favourite our home. It is so delicious, easy and quick to make, and so, so comforting and soothing. I chop the broccoli fairly fine and then use a potato masher on it once I put the cooked broccoli in the milk mixture, and it give just the right texture for us. We like it a bit on the chunky side, but not too chunky. With a piece of homemade bread, we find this soup hearty enough for supper. Thank you Lennie for sharing it with us!
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped broccoli (, peeled stems included)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, , to taste
- 4 cups low-fat milk (don't use skim, though)
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth, broccoli (about 1 med. head will yield 3 cups chopped broccoli) and celery to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- With a whisk or wooden spoon, add milk gradually, beating constantly to prevent lumping.
- (It will thicken like paste at first; keep beating in milk to thin it.) Bring to a boil.
- If you want a smooth soup, puree broccoli in blender.
- Now add broccoli mixture (smooth or chunky) into large saucepan with the milk.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Serve immediately.