Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
To make a vegetarian version of this soup, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Make and share this Broccoli-Cheese Soup(ATK) recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 907.18 g broccoli (florets roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces, stems trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slice)
- 1 onion, medium-roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced-pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 7.39 ml mustard powder
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- table salt
- 709.77-946.36 ml water
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 473.18 ml low sodium chicken broth (see note)
- 56.69 g Baby Spinach (2 loosely packed cups)
- 85.04 g sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
- 42.52 g parmesan cheese, grated fine (about 3/4 cup)
- ground black pepper
- Heat butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides, add broccoli, onion, garlic, dry mustard, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 6 minutes. Add 1 cup water and baking soda. Bring to simmer, cover, and cook until broccoli is very soft, about 20 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- Add broth and 2 cups water and increase heat to medium-high. When mixture begins to simmer, stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer half of soup to blender, add cheddar and Parmesan, and process until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer soup to medium bowl and repeat with remaining soup. Return soup to Dutch oven, place over medium heat and bring to simmer. Adjust consistency of soup with up to 1 cup water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve, passing extra Parmesan separately.