Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another great recipe from the Chicago Trib, my favorite weekly source of recipes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped,including stems
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 ounce soft goat cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in onion and red pepper; cook until onion is golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add broccoli and chicken broth to pan; cook until broccoli is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Puree soup in a blender or food processor (or hand-held'boat motor') in small batches; return soup to pot over low heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes.
This was a wicked simple recipe and so damn good! I put it in a bread bowl with a side salad for supper. Will make this again and again....
Great simple soup! I used thawed frozen broccoli and cut down the chicken broth by 1 cup (and added 1 cup of water). You don't get quite the creaminess of the traditional broccoli soup, but it's pretty close and without all the fat from heavy cream.
Just a heads up, I cook in the family. My wife couldn't boil water if she was standing on the Sun with a pot of water. That was just so you understand this next part. She decided to make this easy recipe but didnt read the 1/8 part of the red pepper. She put in 8/8. Now to many that would seem odd but to non cooks that don't care, it's normal. Regardless to say, after a very long morning of burning after my coffee ( I did reference the sun, just this burning was more of an exit), I re-made the soup and it was great. Added a bit more cheese and a LOT less pepper and it turned out great.