Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A combination of a recipe from Taste of home and one I found on this site.
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can canned milk
- 1 -2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Peel and slice carrot, put broth into sauce pan, add carrots and cook carrots until nearly tender, add broccoli and steam/cook until tender. In saute pan, cook butter and unions until onions are translucent. When onions are translucent, add flour and cook with butter and onions for 5 minutes stirring often. Slowly pour canned milk into saute pan while stirring. Continue to stir to get lumps out of sauce. When sauce begins to thicken, strain the broth off the carrots and broccoli, leaving the carrots and broccoli in the sauce pan and removing the pan from heat. Stir broth into sauce. Stir cheese into sauce until melted. Pour Milk into sauce to thin it to desired consistency. Once cheese is melted, add carrots and broccoli to mixture and warm through. Add salt and pepper to taste and if needed, add more milk.