Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe and photo adapted from Mangio da Sola
Make and share this Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken stock (I used bouillon cubes water)
- boiling water
- 1⁄2 lb fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces grated colby-monterey jack cheese (I used Velveeta)
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- Sauté the onion (and garlic) in the butter over medium heat. Remove the onions (you can actually leave the onions in there) and add in the flour, stirring constantly. Add in the half and half, milk, and chicken stock. Bring to almost a boil.
- Add the onions back in, along with the broccoli and carrots. Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Season the soup with the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cardamom. Stir in the cheeses (and you can play around with the amounts; use however much or little you like) and let simmer for 10 minutes longer before serving.