Recipe by Charlotte J
Top Review by Annacia
This is delicious and almost guilt free. If you used reduced fat cheese (I didn't this time) that would really reduce the fat content and have no guilt. However I used real medium cheddar and loved it. This is easy peasy to make and had excellent flavor. Soup season is well upon us, at least up here in the True North, and this soup is substantial enough to be a meal in it's self. I used fresh broccoli but I expect that you could use frozen just as well and it would most likely be even faster to make up.
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 9 cups broccoli florets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry carnation instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (4 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil broth in large saucepan.
- Add broccoli, onion and garlic.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Cover; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Transfer half of vegetable-broth mixture to blender or food processor in batches; cover.
- Blend until desired consistency.
- Return to remaining mixture in saucepan.
- Combine dry milk, water and flour in medium bowl; mix well.
- Stir into soup; add salt and pepper.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir over low heat until melted.
- Heat to serving temperature and serve.
- For Freeze Ahead:.
- Prepare as above.
- Cool soup completely.
- Place in airtight container; freeze for up to 2 months.
- Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- Heat in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.