Recipe by Sue Lau
A great soup, one of the deli classics.
Top Review by TiaGem
Woweee!!!! This was SO, SO, SO good!!!! I have been wanting a good recipe for this soup and my search is over! Sue, I never heard of steaming the broccoli first but it sure did preserve the BRIGHT green of the broccoli and made it look so much more appetizing than the gray-green color it fades to after extended cooking. I followed the recipe exactly except for the addition of about 1/4 c. of diced ham that I needed to use up. Next time I will double the recipe!
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, cooked crisp-tender
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and celery in butter in saucepan over medium heat until tender.
- Add flour, and salt and pepper, cooking and stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Add broth and milk (all at once), stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Add cooked broccoli (I like to steam mine then cool in cold water to preserve color), stirring until all is heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and smooth (place back on heat briefly if necessary).