A great soup, one of the deli classics.
Make and share this Broccoli & Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Saute onion and celery in butter in saucepan over medium heat until tender.
- Add flour, and salt and pepper, cooking and stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Add broth and milk (all at once), stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Add cooked broccoli (I like to steam mine then cool in cold water to preserve color), stirring until all is heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and smooth (place back on heat briefly if necessary).
Woweee!!!! This was SO, SO, SO good!!!! I have been wanting a good recipe for this soup and my search is over! Sue, I never heard of steaming the broccoli first but it sure did preserve the BRIGHT green of the broccoli and made it look so much more appetizing than the gray-green color it fades to after extended cooking. I followed the recipe exactly except for the addition of about 1/4 c. of diced ham that I needed to use up. Next time I will double the recipe!
Yum! I Did not see a specification for the amount of celery, so I used 1/4 cup, finely chopped. I also added some cubed ham when I added the broccoli. Served it with a loaf of french bread. Wonderful! [Editor's Note: recipe was edited as a result of this comment 12/17/02]
Love it. Tastes as good, if not better then restaurants. I like to add shredded carrots (and sometimes shredded cabbage) as well. I also use 1/2 the salt and double the pepper using black. I use fresh broccoli and find that it retains its bright green color after 1hr of cooking/cooling. If i lack time, steaming first while the rest cooks will be my go-to method. Using 2 cups of broth and 1 1/2 cups of milk still give it a great rich flavor and thickness, while cutting out a little of the fat.