Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My sister gave this recipe to me many years ago. It's become a family favorite. My kids request it often. I am not a big fan of Velveeta cheese, but it sure does work in this recipe! The soup is creamy and highly satisfying. Enjoy :-)
- 1 potato, peeled and grated
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, chopped fine (small)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Put the first 7 ingredients into a large soup pot, on medium high heat.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender - about 10-15 minutes - while you make the white sauce.
- White Sauce:.
- In another pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Gradually add the flour and whisk - until blended. (Don't burn).
- Stir in the milk and salt to the flour mixture and keep stirring until it gets thick and smooth. (I've never timed this step - I'm guessing it's about 10 minutes or so.).
- Add the Velveeta and stir until blended. Make sure not to boil this mixture.
- Now you can add this white sauce to the vegetable mixture.
- Heat through and enjoy the comfort!
Really yummy!! I used California Blend veggies instead of broccoli as that is what I had - I used 2 - 12 oz bags (because 1 bag wasn't enough broccoli)- I pulled the frozen carrots out and diced them like I did the potato. I mashed it a little with a potato masher when it was cooked before adding the cheese mixture. I used skim milk and only 1/2 of an onion.
I did change a few things. The white/cheese sauce didn't taste cheesy enough with just 4 ounces of Velveeta...so I added 8 ounces AND a cup of shredded sharp Cheddar. It was also a little thin for our taste. The flavor was awesome with the above changes, however. Next time, I'll use less water to cook the vegetables or less milk in the white sauce (or a combination of both).
I made some minor changes, instead of velveeta cheese, I used 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, left out the salt, and used fresh broccoli florets. With that being said, a very weel-rounded soup this ended up to be. Loved the potatoes in this, and made for a delightful soup, that was flavored and ingredient friendly. Served this along with Broccoli and Cheese Calzones#456649, and Spicy Chile and Garlic Broccoli#464282 for a well rounded out dinner. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.