Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Oh, my this is the most wonderful soup!! Can't say enough good things about it. It comes from my church cookbook, FUMC in Alvarado, Texas. Note: it did not say if the cream cheese was 8 oz or 3 oz. size, so you can decide, I used an 8 oz. I really think the cream cheese makes the great taste. This is a very rich soup if made as directed, I use a little bit more milk to thin it some and make it not quite so rich.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cut in cubes
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- garlic salt, to taste
- Cook broccoli in separate sauce pan. I cooked the onions with the broccoli. Drain and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven add milk, Velveeta cheese chunks and softened cream cheese. Cook until melted.
- Note: this is a very rick soup and I use a little more than 2 cups of milk, to thin it some.
- Mix the flour with the chicken broth and add to the melted cheeses.
- Add the cooked broccoli and onions to cheese.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Continue to cook until all is well blended.
- Note: There were no cooking instructions so this is pretty much how I cook it. You may want to change it up the way you put the ingredient together, but this worked well.
I wanted a quick soup to make after work and to feed my husband, our younger son, and my brother in law. Well I received RAVE review for this soup. When I finally was able to sit down to eat I agreed with them. Not only is this soup simple but excellent in taste. Thank you for a quick and wonderful recipe. I will be making this often.
Just made this. Double yum! Only real change was to add garlic and double the recipe. Used Cabot Seriously sharp and a hunk of Fontina I had in the fridge. It is so delicious! (and super easy)
This soup is GREAT!! I doubled the recipe & froze some, so I hope it freezes well! It is very easy to make & oh so good ;)