Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an easy, throw-together broccoli soup. I've made it many times and it is always a hit, especially on a cold day. It can be doubled or tripled, and I have even made it in a crock pot, (although you have to use the low setting so it doesn't scorch).
- 2 (10 -12 ounce) packages frozen broccoli, chopped or 2 (10 -12 ounce) packages broccoli, cuts
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) canbroccoli cheese or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of broccoli soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut up in chunks
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 -6 slices crisp bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Put all liquid ingredients and butter or margarine in pot on med-low heat and stir occasionally to make sure everything gets blended.
- While this is cooking, put frozen broccoli in a glass dish. Cover with plastic or Saran wrap, and microwave for 2-4 minutes, (just long enough to defrost but not to over-cook). Drain broccoli. If you want to steam the broccoli on the stovetop instead you can, just don't overcook it til it gets too soft.
- As the cream mixture heats up to a slow bubble, check the consistency. Once the ingredients are completely melted and slightly bubbly, add broccoli, cover & simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If it looks too thick, add more milk. If it looks too thin or watery, add a tablespoon or two of flour.
- A minute or two before you serve, add the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve with a nice Caesar or garden salad and crusty bread.
This was quite delicious, and I'm so glad I came across this recipe. I thought the bacon and cheese both contributed a lot to the overall flavor and texture. Thanks for sharing your recipe, BluJasmine. Made for Spring 2013 Pick-A-Chef.