Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This soup is unbelievably delicious!! I have yet to find another recipe for broccoli cheese soup that is better than this one! Give it a try!
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli, washed cut
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in butter. Set aside.
- Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken broth whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat till veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now.
- Pour in batches into osterizer (blender) and puree.
- Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg.
- This soup can be easily doubled.
Nice and easy soup. Reminds me of panera's recipe. I made a few changes- using 1 qt chicken stock, 1 cup half and half, 2 cups milk, 1 lb broccoli but kept the carrot and cheese the same. I chopped the broccoli fine so I only put about 3 cups in the food processor and left the rest chunky. Thanks!
I was really disappointed in this recipe..you could stand a spoon up in it it was so thick...and it needed more broccoli and cheese...just bland..my son agreed. AND..I followed the instructions to a "T".
Great! This is the best broccoli cheese soup I've ever made. I will use this recipe from now on.