Recipe by FLFroggie
Nice and light side dish. Left overs are great heated up for breakfast.
Top Review by Frau Frau
Yum!! Very easy to put together, however, I was confused about the onions. I assumed they should be sauteed, but the instructions didn't note when, and I can't abide by raw onions. I ended up "cheating" and used dried minced onion and added it with the broccoli. It worked great. I increased the recipe so I could use up 5 egg whites. My husband and I and two kiddos (ages 4 and 1) ate nearly the whole thing for dinner. (I can't imagine that the original recipe could serve six.) Both of the kids loved it!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 3 egg whites, whipped into fluffy mounds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F, fill round cake pan or pie pan with 1/2 inch boiling water.
- Steam broccoli florets until tender.
- Melt butter in medium sauce pan.
- Add flour to melted butter until smooth.
- Slowly stir in milk.
- Once mixture is smooth add onion, nutmeg and cheese.
- Add broccoli to mix.
- Whipp egg whites into soft peaks.
- Slowly fold in cheese mixture, do not stir.
- Pour egg and cheese mixture into round csserole dish with high sides, approx 1 1/2 quart.
- Place dish in pan with water, bake for 50-60 minutes.