1 hr 20 mins
Alan in SW Florida's Note:
This isn't the typical back-of-the-can recipe...No gooey condensed soup, no lifeless frozen broccoli, no sit-on-your-shelf-forever "cheese product". This is an irresistible casserole...delicious for a weeknight supper or worthy of a dinner party. It is wonderful served along with most anything...chicken, ham, beef, pork chops, whatever!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices good-quality white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 1/2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (1/2 stick)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled (1/4 stick)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large bunch broccoli, florets cut into 1-inch pieces and stems trimmed and chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 cups store-bought low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (red pepper)
- 1Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
- 2Place the bread, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the melted butter, and the minced garlic into a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground, about 10 pulses; set aside.
- 3Place the broccoli florets in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and cook on high power until bright green and tender, 3 to 4 minutes (take care Not to overcook the broccoli florets); set aside.
- 4Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of chilled butter in a Dutch oven or large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and broccoli stems and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice is translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, half-and-half, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, stirring often, until the rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese, cayenne, the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan, and the broccoli florets,.
- 5Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the bread crumb mixture, Bake until the sauce is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve.
- 6(The filling can be prepared, placed into the greased baking dish, covered with plastic wrap, and refrigerated for up to 1 day. However, refrigerate the topping separately. Bring the filling to room temperature before topping with the bread crumbs and bake as directed.).
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli, Cheese & Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.2
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 71.3 mg
- Sodium 660.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 17.5 g