Recipe by Good Cook Wanda
This is my daughter's favorite dish for Thanksgiving. I use a medium grain rice. I updated this recipe making the "sauce" instead of using canned soups
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked rice, packed cups
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 pan.
- Saute onion and celery in butter in a large skillet over medium heat till clear. Add mushrooms and saute till soft.
- Add flour to skillet and stir to make a blond colored roux. Slowly add cream and milk, stirring to incorporate well. Using a whisk makes this quicker. Add basil, thyme and parsley and salt & pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Meanwhile, blanch the broccoli by adding it to a pot of boiling water for no more than 2 minutes. This keeps the bright green color.
- In a large bowl, mix broccoli, rice, onion & mushrooms sauce, & cheese. Add chicken broth if mixture seems dry. Season with salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste.
- Pour into greased casserole dish. Cover with bread crumbs.
- Bake 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees until bubbly all the way through.