Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Here's a recipe I tend to lean on for make-me-feel-special comfort food. Based on a recipe from McCall's Cooking School, #6 under EGGS, CHEESE category. The introduction says, "A SAVORY VEGETABLE BREAD PUDDING. This is a truly magnificent vegetable side dish -- broccoli, cheddar cheese, and bread cubes baked in a basil-flavored egg custard and topped with rings of fresh bread. Prepare it up to 1 day in advance and then pop it into the oven to bake just before serving. The abundance of eggs and cheese makes this dish high in protein, and for a light lunch or dinner you need only add a big tossed salad." The only special tool that not every kitchen has is a 2.75-inch-diameter doughnut cutter required to give this dish its festive appearance; invest in one -- they're cheap! The resulting smiles will make you happy you did! You'll look like a genius! :) Neither prep nor cooking time includes 30 minutes standing time.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 10 slices day-old white bread
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In small saucepan, cook broccoli until tender according to package directions, separating broccoli as directed. Drain and set aside.
- Thoroughly grease the inside of 9x13x2-inch ovenproof baking pan using the butter or margarine.
- Using a large serrated knife, trim off and reserve crusts from bread slices. Using a 2.75-inch-diameter doughnut cutter, cut doughnut-shaped rounds from 8 slices of the bread. Cut bread trimmings and remaining 2 slices of bread into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Coarsely shred Cheddar cheese. Place cheese, bread cubes, and drained chopped broccoli into a large mixing bowl. Toss well and spoon into the prepared baking pan.
- Arrange doughnut-shaped bread rings on top of broccoli mixture, overlapping them if necessary. Beat eggs in same mixing bowl with a wire whisk or a rotary or portable electric mixer. Add milk, dried basil leaves, salt, and papper. Beat until smooth.
- Pour seasoned egg-milk mixture over broccoli and bread in pan. Let stand 30 minutes. (This much can be done up to 1 day in advance. Cover broccoli mixture with aluminum foil, removing from 'fridge about 1 1/4 hours before you plan to serve dinner.).
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Place uncovered pan on center rack in oven. Bake 60 to 65 minutes or until mixture is puffed and lightly browned, or when a knife inserted in center of puff comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
We liked this casserole a lot! I let it sit in the fridge all day and cooked it for dinner. I think that this would be a good dish for a brunch. If I made it again I would skip the bread on top. Thanks so much for posting! Made for the Aussie Recipe Swap #24.