Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There is never a drop of this soup left! I think it's the absolute best of it's kind. It's almost a meal in and of itself!
For the Soup
- 500 g broccoli
- 2 onions
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon margarine
- 3⁄4 liter vegetable stock (soup powder mixed with water is fine)
- 200 g creamy processed cheese (i.e.Velveeta, Laughing Cow)
- salt & pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 250 g sour cream
- 4 tablespoons flavored butter (optional)
- 2 slices toast (optional)
- 1 bunch chives (optional)
- Wash and cut broccoli into small pieces.
- Chop onions fine and saute in butter or margarine until they look translucent.
- Add broccoli to the onions and saute together for a few minutes.
- Add vegetable stock & let cook for 15-20 minutes (I usually use water plus vegetable bouillon).
- Add cheese crumbled into small pieces.
- Keep stirring until cheese has melted and cook another few minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat.
- Add sour cream.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.
- Topping: Heat flavored butter in a pan and add toast that has been cut into cubes.
- When browned, top soup. Add chives if desired.
I thought it was lovely...not sure why the lower raters expected a "creamy" soup...this is NOT cream of broccoli soup, it does NOT deserve low ratings! This recipe is easy and tasty, a pleasure to both make & eat!
I really love this soup. I thought I would be disappointed since it was not as creamy as I wanted, but the nutmeg flavor was awesome, and the addition of slightly moire velveeta helped make it thincker. I will certainly make this again.
Was hoping for a creamier soup. Taste was slightly above average, but given the huge calorie & fat content - I probably won't make it again.