Prep 18 mins
Cook 20 mins
Add some ham for a complete meal; this is a good brunch dish or potluck! From Epicurious with some changes.
- 6 large eggs
- 236.59 ml whole milk or 236.59 ml half-and-half cream
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 3.69 ml ground nutmeg
- 236.59 ml grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 78.07 ml grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 4 green onions, tops-too, chopped
- 453.59 g bag frozen hash browns or 8 frozen hash brown patties, thawed
- 283.49 g box frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, pepper, and nutmeg until combined; whisk in Cheddar and 3 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Heat oil in a well-seasoned 10” cast-iron skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté green onions, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add hash browns and remaining and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Spread potatoes evenly in skillet and cook, undisturbed, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spread broccoli over potatoes; pour in egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake until set--2” from edge but still slightly wobbly in center, about 12-15 minutes. Turn on broiler.
- Broil 4” from heat until top is set, puffed, and golden brown.
- Note: If using chopped ham (1 1/3 cups), add as layer between potatoes and broccoli.
Simple & quick but outstanding. BF and I almost ate the whole recipe ourselves for dinner tonight. Not too caloric, as I used two teaspoons olive oil, egg whites instead of eggs and 2% milk. Added some additional salt and hot sauce (in my case) or mustard (in BF's case) on the side. No ham of course. Also, I didn't have a cast iron pot so I used a heavy, non-stick, oven-proof skillet instead. Great for brunch, lunch or dinner. Going into my quick but great tasting cookbook. Thanks so much:D P.S. Did increase cooking time to 20 minutes (very much dislike undercooked eggs) and broiling time was only about 3 minutes. Perfect!