Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
There aren't that many recipes posted for broccoli cheese soup, and being one of my favourite comfort soups, I thought I would share mine. I like to sprinkle red pepper and put a small swirl of cream on top when I serve it.
- 1 medium head broccoli
- 1 large potato, peeled & cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Remove florets from broccoli head.
- Cook florets in 4 cups water for 4 minutes, drain the florets, reserving the cooking water. Set florets aside for later. Chop broccoli stalk into small cubes.
- Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan.
- Add potatoes, onions and broccoli stalk, and saute for 10 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add cumin and flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add 3 cups of the reserved floret cooking water and the bouillon cubes, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until broccoli stalks are tender.
- Stir in cream and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth ( Be Careful if doing this while HOT).
- Add the florets to the blender and pulse once, (this give the soup a nice green florety colour without totally destroying the florets).
- Taste and season again if necessary.
- Heat through before serving.
Mmmm..... fantastic! This is the kind of soup that you want to eat really slowly. The cumin gives it a boost of flavor that other broccoli cheese soups don't have, but it's not overpowering. I loved the texture of not completely pureeing it. I used an extra sharp white cheddar. I'll make this again; thanx!