This recipe allows you to tailor your dish for the amount of time and availability of ingredients. This can be prepared two ways, with fresh or frozen broccoli, with cooked rice or uncooked minute rice, or with Cheese Whiz or colby cheese.
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped broccoli or 1 head fresh broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar Cheese Whiz or 1 cup shredded colby cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup or 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup instant rice, uncooked or 2 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- If using fresh broccoli cook broccoli to desired tenderness. Sauté celery and onion in a bit of butter if desired. If using cooked rice, prepare rice. This can all be done ahead of time.
- Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased 2 quart casserole with a lid (or cover with foil).
- Sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Bake covered at 350ºF for 45 minutes if using uncooked minute rice, if using cooked rice bake until warm through and cheese is bubbly.
Great and easy recipe I doubled everything but the cheese and it was still great and less fat.
I used chopped frozen broccoli and instant rice and it came out magnificent!!!
This was great! It was really quick and easy to whip up for a side dish, and the ingredients are really forgivable based on what you have available.