Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is one of Brian Turner's Favorite Recipes
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 240.97 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 236.59 ml milk
- 44.37 ml flour
- 28.34 g bread, stale (day old french or ciabbata)
- 3 slice bacon
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- olive oil
- Chop Broccoli into florets.
- Boil florets in salted water for 7-10 minutes until tender.
- Pour milk into a pan, bring to boil, then simmer while adding flour, and 3/4 of the cheese.
- Chop bacon finely and add to cheese sauce mixture, along with minced garlic and nutmeg.
- Place broccoli in 9x9 in casserole dish, pour over cheese sauce, then tear stale bread into thumb size pieces and place on top of broccoli and mixture along with the rest of the cheese, pour a little olve oil over the top of this to make the bread crispy.
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately.
Easy and tasty! Made as directed. Thanks, Lavender Lynn! Made for Aussie Kiwi Recipe Swap #82.
Couldn't have come across this recipe at a better time. I had a small bunch of beautiful organic broccoli left in the fridge that I wanted to use up and a bit of left over sour dough bread that was starting to dry out. There wasn't enough of either to really fit a meal for our temporary living situation (10 people instead of my normal family of 6). Well, it just so happened that everyone was out last night except my son and I, so I scaled down the recipe to serve 2. I thought for sure it would be a real hit with my son, because he loves broccoli and cheese however he ate a couple of bites and said "Mom, I like the addition of the crunchy bread however; I think the cheese has gone bad, because it is not very good." That's when it dawned on me, he has never had a cheese sauce on his vegetables before. I always grate a little cheese and just sprinkle it on top of our veggies when they are hot. So, with that said, I am rating this recipe solo. I personally loved the dish....the only thing I will do differently next time is probably use some jarred real bacon in the cheese sauce since the bacon in the recipe was a bit under-cooked for my liking. (I rarely cook bacon anymore as I have issues with the lingering smell afterwards.) Recipe was made and reviewed for the 70th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
Nice twist on broccoli cheese, liked the bacon and nutmeg in this, in fact I was a little heavy-handed with the nutmeg! Enjoyed the croutons too, very nice side dish that I will happily make again, thank you :) Made for ZWT8