This is a yummy and easy soup to throw together. Cheese compliments broccoli and potatoes so well. Ultimate comfort food when the weather starts to get colder. I love to serve it with homemade rolls or bread and a salad. I make it with skim milk to cut back on calories but feel free to substitute whole milk or half-and-half for a creamier soup. If I'm really short on time, I just throw in a can of diced, already cooked potatoes towards the end of the cooking time until they are heated through. If you want a thicker soup, just add desired amount of flour mixed until smooth with an equal amount of water. Mmmmmm....
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped broccoli, steamed until crisp tender
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- minced fresh parsley, if desired
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter over medium heat until tender.
- Add flour, pepper, salt, and paprika and stir until smooth.
- Add broth, milk, and potatoes, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese and cooked broccoli and cook over low until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Sprinkle individual servings with parsley if desired.