1/7 Photos of Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup
This is a yummy and easy soup to throw together. Cheese compliments broccoli and potatoes so well. Ultimate comfort food when the weather starts to get colder. I love to serve it with homemade rolls or bread and a salad. I make it with skim milk to cut back on calories but feel free to substitute whole milk or half-and-half for a creamier soup. If I'm really short on time, I just throw in a can of diced, already cooked potatoes towards the end of the cooking time until they are heated through. If you want a thicker soup, just add desired amount of flour mixed until smooth with an equal amount of water. Mmmmmm....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chopped broccoli, steamed until crisp tender
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- minced fresh parsley, if desired
- 1In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter over medium heat until tender.
- 2Add flour, pepper, salt, and paprika and stir until smooth.
- 3Add broth, milk, and potatoes, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- 4Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 5Stir in cheese and cooked broccoli and cook over low until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- 6Sprinkle individual servings with parsley if desired.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.3
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 534.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 14.1 g