Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a yummy and easy soup to throw together. Cheese compliments broccoli and potatoes so well. Ultimate comfort food when the weather starts to get colder. I love to serve it with homemade rolls or bread and a salad. I make it with skim milk to cut back on calories but feel free to substitute whole milk or half-and-half for a creamier soup. If I'm really short on time, I just throw in a can of diced, already cooked potatoes towards the end of the cooking time until they are heated through. If you want a thicker soup, just add desired amount of flour mixed until smooth with an equal amount of water. Mmmmmm....
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped broccoli, steamed until crisp tender
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- minced fresh parsley, if desired
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter over medium heat until tender.
- Add flour, pepper, salt, and paprika and stir until smooth.
- Add broth, milk, and potatoes, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese and cooked broccoli and cook over low until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Sprinkle individual servings with parsley if desired.
My family LOVES this soup, and it's so versatile! We didn't have broccoli on hand, so I used cauliflower instead. I did make a couple changes, just to make cooking a little easier: I used 2 cans of chicken broth, cooked the chopped cauliflower (doubled the amount) in the soup at the same time I added the diced potatoes, added garlic powder, and only used 1 1/3 cups cheese. For those who have never made a creamy cheese soup before, it really helps to turn the heat down to low for a few minutes BEFORE adding in the cheese. This will prevent curdling, which looks really un-appetizing!
I made this last night and will make it again. I liked the flavor and texture a lot. Next time, I will chop the broccoli much finer and put it in immediately with the potatoes so that it is cooked to mush. It was a little crunchy for a soup the way I did it. I didn't have celery, so I grated a carrot instead and added a shallot and some garlic. I will keep these changes, as they seemed to work well.
Love, love, love! I've made this a few times now and have completely vetoed adding any salt. I also just throw the raw broccoli directly into the soup and let it cook instead of pre-steaming. Great recipe!