Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an easy weeknight dinner that uses handy ingredients like precooked chicken and canned cream of mushroom soup. Serve it over hot basmati rice.
- 20 ounces broccoli stems, thawed
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup melba toast, finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to to 350 degrees.
- In a 13 x 9 x 3 inch baking dish, arrange broccoli spears in 2 rows with stalks facing toward the center.
- Spoon chicken on top of the stalks, and top chicken with cheese.
- Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine milk, lemon juice, curry powder, pepper, and cream of mushroom soup.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water until combined.
- Add to soup mixture.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Pour over chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine Melba toast crumbs and butter.
- Sprinkle over soup mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 2o minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
This is a great recipe! I used fresh broccoli and half a cup of chopped mushrooms. I also substituted the cream of Mushroom soup for half chicken and half mushroom soup (low-cal) I didn't need butter and left off the cheese, and it tasted amazing. BF has requested it again!
I used frozen pees instead of broccoli. It was good but not very flavorful. Also, the flour and water just turned lumpy in the sauce so I had to fish out the clumps.
My family really enjoyed this. Substituted fresh broccoli for frozen. DH especially loved the melba toast topping. He requested that I make it again.