Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Simple, tasty comfort food! The broccoli makes it easy to sneak some veggies into your family's diet.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 118.29 ml light sour cream
- 59.14 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml skim milk
- 236.59 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 236.59 ml chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 9.85 ml dry ranch dressing mix (optional but delicious)
- salt and pepper
- Bake the potatoes in a 400 degree oven for about 1 hour. *Okay, I s'pose you could use microwaved "baked" potatoes instead to save time and they'd come out fine. But, please, if you do have the time, take the time to bake them. They'll taste much better and the skins will hold up much nicer.*.
- After the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice each one in half lengthwise and scoop the guts out into a large mixing bowl, being careful to leave the skins intact. Place skins on ungreased cookie sheet and set aside.
- Add margarine to potato guts and mash using a potato masher until fairly smooth.
- Add sour cream, milk, 1/2 cup of the cheese, ranch dressing mix, chopped broccoli, and seasonings, and mix well.
- Spoon the potato mixture back into the skins, top with the remaining cheese, and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
I made this recipe on 4/16/09 to go with some ham steaks that my SO and I were having. I did make a few changes for just us two.I used 2 very large baking potatoes,And since I had the time I did bake them ( They do taste better baked ;) ).After taking out the potato "guts ", mashed the potatoes with a fork, mixed with the full amounts of milk and butter, added just enough sour cream to taste.I also used the full amount of cheese and broccoli. Topped with a bit more cheese than the recipe called for ( I really love cheese :) ) The potatoes were baked again for 30 minutes to make sure everything was heated through. These will be made again. Thanks for posting and, "Keep Smilling :)
Very filling. A meal all in it selft! For the ranch I used Roast-Mary Spice Mix. I used fresh broccoli that I steamed. Used butter not margarine. I agree baked are much better then microwaved! I used the ricer to mash my potatoes. Russets are the best choice for this. I also rubbed a touch of olive oil on the skins before baking. Thanks.