Recipe by runswithfork
This is an easy yummy soup! I "cheat" or rather amend this soup with a can of Campbell's Broccoli Cheese to help bring the flavors together. Don't worry, it's way better than just opening the can :) I serve this with a home made bread or focaccia! Submitted some corrections for the jerk of a critic/editor who, ironically, can't spell! But hey, thanks!
Top Review by *Parsley*
I thought this was very good. The curry powder adds a nice extra something to the flavor of the soup. I used cheddar cheese soup instead of broccoli cheese, but that's all I changed. Thanx for sharing this!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bunches broccoli
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces broccoli cheese soup
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in pot.
- Add olive oil, onion, and garlic and saute until onion is tender.
- Don't only use the florets skin the stalks and add them too -- they're great!
- Add broccoli and water and bullion to barely cover the broccoli.
- Bring to boil and cook until broccoli is al dente (which means "to the tooth" easy to bite through but still has firmness). About 10 minutes.
- If you like it smooth puree all or part in a blender or stick blenders work great!
- Add can of Campbell's Broccoli cheese.
- Add a slurry of 1/4 c flour and evaporated milk. and check that it's thick as you like. -- if not thick enough, add 2T of flour for each quart of water.
- Add cheese, salt, pepper, and other seasonings (like the curry, jakesoup jerk) to taste.
- Finish with heavy cream to taste but you may no longer boil.
- Like any soup it taste better the longer it sets so, fix it early if you can, but it's great fresh too.