Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy and delicious broccoli cheddar soup. Blend partially for lots of chunks or blend totally for an even consistency. Add a package of dried cheese that comes in the mac and cheese boxes for a yellow/orange color and a kicked up a notch flavor. Fresh broccoli is of course possible, make sure to cut into florets first.
- 2 1⁄2-3 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (800 g) bag frozen broccoli
- 1 cup grated carrot (optional)
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 dash dry mustard
- 5 1⁄2 cups strong vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese
- Sauté onions and garlic in butter or olive oil until translucent.
- Add pinch of salt and pepper and broccoli.
- Sauté until broccoli is crisp tender.
- Add spices.
- Add stock.
- Simmer until broccoli pierces easily with a fork and is very tender.
- Remove from heat and blend or partially blend for even consistency.
- Stir in cream and cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, refrigerate or freeze.
Yummy soup. I left out the cream, as I didn't have any, and just used a bit more cheese. My cheese was extra sharp cheddar, which really gave it a bit more flavor. For the spices, I used 1 teaspoon of mustard, 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme, and a few grates of fresh nutmeg. I felt this needed more salt at the end, so I used a total of about 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt. At the last minute, I added a dash of Tabasco sauce as well. This is very good, and the portions are generous. I'll definitely be making this again.
Yummy! I used fresh broccoli and the optional carrots. The carrots gave a nice subtle sweet flavor. I cut the stock down to 4 1/2 cups just because I like a thicker soup. It's a very satisfying soup and I'll make this again. Thanx!
I really liked this soup. I didn't have any cream so I used lowfat milk. It came out fine and I also used chicken stock. This soup thickens as it sits overnight.