Recipe by Barb in WNY
From an advertisement for Lawry seasonings. This is nice served with hearty whole grain bread, rolls, or garlic toast.
Top Review by *Parsley*
One of the best (and one of the easiest) broccoli cheese soups I've ever tasted! It's just the right creamy thickness and still has some texture. I used a light lager beer. For the milk, I used fat free evaporated.... just to cut some fat but keep the creaminess. I'll be making this again. Thanx!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder with parsley
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beer
- 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter and sauté onion, seasoned salt, and garlic powder with parsley until onion is tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in chicken broth and beer.
- Return to a boil.
- Add broccoli; reduce heat and add Cheddar cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.