Recipe by Ludwigj
Nice soup to start out a meal.
Top Review by sddigiorgio
I made this yesterday. It's one of the easiest recipes for broccoli soup that I've ever tried. Highly recommend using less onion. Next time I make this, I will use a quarter of an onion, as opposed to one large onion, as the recipe calls for. Also, I used sharp cheddar cheese. It was delicious. Albeit a bit too 'oniony'. I reiterate...use less onion. I rated this a five star recipe for how easy and quick it is to make.
- 73.94 ml unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 946.36 ml chicken stock (or 4 cups water plus 1 bouillon cube)
- 473.18 ml grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 709.77 ml steamed broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1.23 ml paprika (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the cheese and stock, and simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and cook until heated through.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika, if desired.