Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A recipe from a Milk calendar. The original only added the red peppers as an option, but I like them as a main in the recipe, because it makes it look much prettier. Besides, a little extra beta carotene never hurt anyone.
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1⁄2 cups old cheddar cheese
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling water until tender, (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the broccoli then drain right away.
- Return pasta& broccoli to pot.
- Whisk flour, salt& pepper into the milk& pour over the pasta.
- Mix the mustard in, and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove pot from heat, add the Cheddar& stir until the cheese melts.
- Note: If you use frozen broccoli, stir it in with the milk.