Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
For broccoli and cheese lovers. The homemade sauce is so much better for you than the canned ?cream-of? variety.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 20 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup white flour or 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- To make the Cheese Sauce--------------.
- Heat oil in a skillet and sauté the onion until golden brown; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt butter slowly over low heat.
- Stir in flour, blending until smooth.
- Slowly stir in milk, then add the sautéed onion to the flour mixture.
- Cook the mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon, until thickened and smooth.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove, add seasonings and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Set aside.
- To finish the Casserole---------------.
- In a separate pot, cook the broccoli and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the drained broccoli, flour and eggs.
- Add the cheese sauce and pour into a 1 ½-quart greased casserole.
- Sprinkle top with wheat germ.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.