Recipe by TGirl,RN
What a wonderful way to enjoy broccoli! Cheesy, flavorful, and simple to make..this recipe will serve up to 16 people.
Top Review by Marysdottir
Very good casserole. I added a couple of cloves of garlic to the onion as I sauteed it and if I make this again I think I will add a bit more to boost the flavour. Maybe add some parmesan or asiago cheese with the cheddar, too. This is very reminiscent of a canape recipe that used to be popular - spinach squares. If you made this thinner and with finely chopped broccoli, it could be cut in squares like that and served as finger food. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and my only hesitation in giving it five stars is whether it is worth all the fat and calories. That said, it was well worth making. Thanks.
- 8 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Saute broccoli and onion for 5 minutes, or until crisp tender.
- In a bowl, add eggs, cream, and 1 3/4 cups of the cheddar cheese, and mix well.
- Add broccoli, salt, and pepper to the egg mixture.
- Pour into a greased 3 quart casserole dish; set casserole inside of a larger dish, and pour 1 inch of water into the larger dish to make a water bath.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and allow casserole to sit for 10 minutes before serving.