Recipe by Charlotte J
From Pillsbury Bake-Off winner Barbara Van Itallie.
Top Review by sparkle_eyes
Made this for Freezer Tag 2008. I really enjoyed the taste of this casserole! I used penne pasta and fresh veggies (only because I can't get frozen California blend or canned mushrooms in China...). I added some chopped onions to the sauce by using slightly more butter to cook them before adding the flour. It had great flavor! To freeze, I assembled through step 12 as directed. I put it in a foil lined pan and froze it until solid. Then I removed the pan and put the foil wrapped dish in a ziploc bag. I thawed in the refrigerator overnight and then baked as directed for 20-25 minutes.
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli carrots cauliflower mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spaghetti as directed on package, drain.
- Keep warm and set aside.
- Cook vegetables until crisp, drain; set aside.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in flour until smooth, gradually add milk; blend well.
- Cook over heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until it thickens and boils, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the pepper and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Put spaghetti into baking dish.
- Top with vegetables and mushrooms.
- Pour milk mixture over mushrooms; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture bubbles.