Recipe by Teresa M
This is my favorite "holiday" broccoli salad recipe. The combination of fresh vegetables, real bacon, eggs and sharp cheddar cheese are what makes it so good.
Top Review by Acerast
Great salad TeresaM! It has a lot of crunch and I liked the contrast of sweet and salty (bacon). This makes a large salad if you're feeding a crowd. When I made it I had picked up a package of maple-flavored bacon by mistake so my salad had a maple flavor to it (lol) but was still delicious! Thanks for sharing!
- 4 heads broccoli (fresh)
- 1 head cauliflower (fresh)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 -16 ounces fried crumbled bacon
- 5 cups Miracle Whip
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon and boil eggs.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Run cold water over hard-boiled eggs until cool enough to peel, peel and set aside.
- Tear apart broccoli and cauliflower florets into small bite-sized pieces and place in tall deep Tupperware-type container (I think the one I use is a 21-cup one).
- The purpose of the small pieces is that you should be able to get a taste of all the ingredients in each spoonful.
- Chop onions and eggs and put in Tupperware container.
- Add cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Mix the dressing together Miracle Whip, white sugar and vinegar and if possible marinate overnight, occasionally turning container upside-down so that all the salad is covered well with dressing.
- It will work fine if you don't have time to marinate it at all, but is best if marinated for a few hours to overnight.