Recipe by Rufus T
An easy to make meat free lasagne. I have seen many vegetable lasagne recipes but none really grabbed me so I decided to experiment and, in my opinion, this is a really tasty one.
Top Review by dianegrapegrower
There are positives and negatives about this dish - with some tweaking, it'll return to our table. The tomato sauce seemed much too dry for dry noodles, so added more tomatoes - wasn't necessary, but a note from the chef to that effect might have helped me. Biggest problem was that the tomato sauce was bland. Added oregano, basil, parsley, and hot pepper flakes, and wished I'd added more. Really dull. On the positive side, adding the cheese to the white sauce helped spread a very little cheese throughout the casserole, to good effect (and lowered fat). Diane
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, cut in to small florets
- 1⁄2 head broccoli, cut in to small florets
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (red or orange)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Season All
- 1⁄3 pint vegetable stock
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 pint milk
- 2 ounces plain flour
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces grated smoked dutch cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 9 sheets dried lasagna noodles
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to sprinkle on top
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan add onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until translucent- about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers, vegetable stock, tomato puree and chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Add cauliflower, broccoli, courgette and seasoning bring back to the boil- now cover and reduce heat- allow to simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Start white sauce approximately 10 minutes before vegetable sauce is ready-melt butter and stir in the flour- cook over a low heat for about 1 minute.
- Increase heat- gradually add milk stirring continually.
- Once sauce has thickened add mustard and half of the grated smoked cheese- stir to mix in the cheese then remove sauce from heat.
- Place 3 sheets of lasagne in a baking dish measuring 9 x 12 inches- pour on half the vegetable sauce then add 2nd layer of lasagne-next add half the white sauce then remaining vegetable sauce-add final layer of lasagne and top with white sauce.
- Sprinkle the parmesan and remaining smoked cheese on top.
- Cook in the centre of a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F/gas 4 for 35 minutes.