Recipe by breezermom
I love broccoli, and I love cream cheese, so this is a natural for me! When I was growing up, we always had that broccoli casserole with the rice, cheese, and cream of chicken, mushroom, or celery soup. But I have been trying to avoid the sodium content in the cream of "whatever" soups, and found that this broccoli casserole is really tastey! I've listed topping it with bread crumbs or ritz crackers, whichever is your preference. Do not use both...it is too much breading on top! I've also made this using fresh chopped broccoli and garlic, great either way! I hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by lesliecoy
First, Let me say I was looking for a Rice and Chicken and Broccoli/Cauliflower and Cheese Recipe. With a couple of changes, this was exactly what I wanted ! The Sauce base for this recipe is very very tasty and perfect in every way. I used a package of Frozen Broccoli and Cauliflower, which I tossed in the microwave for a few minutes, then drained. I also left off the topping because I added some leftover Wild Rice to the mix. Smelled so good while cooking and the texture of the finished dish was just what I was wanting. Also, I was going to snap a photo of this when it came out of the oven, but we sat down at the table and the next thing I knew it was All Gone ! Maybe next time. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe !
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, jarred minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup crushed Ritz cracker, fine and dry
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook broccoli according to directions, or if using fresh broccoli, chop it and cook it. Drain well. Add minced garlic to the broccoli. Place broccoli in a lightly greased 1 quart casserole; set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add salt and pepper; stir well. Add cream cheese, stirring until smooth.
- Pour cream cheese sauce over broccoli in casserole; stir gently to combine. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over low heat; remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs or ritz crackers. Sprinkle breadcrumb or ritz cracker mixture evenly over casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.