Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful casserole for fresh broccoli.
- 2 (16 ounce) packages fresh broccoli florets
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts
- salt and pepper
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained (can use 2 jars if desired)
- 2 cups grated old cheddar cheese, shredded (can use more or less)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Boil or steam the broccoli florets in a small amount of water until just fork tender; drain very well (this can be done hours or up to 1 day in advance).
- In a skillet melt butter over medium heat; add in the onion and saute for about 6-7 minutes or until very soft.
- Place the cooked broccoli, onion, water chestnuts and pimientos; mix to combine and season with salt and pepper; set aside while preparing the cheese sauce.
- For the cheese sauce; melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in half and half cream and cayenne; bring to a boil whisking constantly for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add in the cheddar cheese; stir until melted and smooth.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with a fork until thick and pale.
- Gradually stir about one-forth of the hot cheese/cream mixture into the eggs; add egg mixture to the remaining hot cheese mixture stirring constantly.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the broccoli mixture in the bowl; stir with a wooden spoon to combine thoroughly.
- Season with more black pepper if desired.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese; return to oven and bake for another 30-35 minutes more.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.