Recipe by Alliebaba
Definitely those who don't like broccoli will love this. A family favorite.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Yummy, yum yum!!! Rich, creamy and delicious. I loved the big chunks of onion. They gave the casserole a bit of a bite. This can easily steal the spotlight from your main dish. I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and skim milk and it was still heavenly. Thanx!
- 4 medium onions, quartered
- 1 lb fresh broccoli, broken into big pieces (florets and stems)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup grated cheese (cheddar or colby or mozza-I like to mix cheddar and colby)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion and broccoli in boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain and put in a large casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter over low heat. Add flour, salt & pepper. Add milk, stirring until thick and bubbly. Add the cream cheese, stirring until melted. Pour sauce over veggies. Sprinkle grated cheese over top.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. While cooking, melt 2 tbsp butter and mix with the breadcrumbs.
- After 30 minutes, add the breadcrumbs to the casserole and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes.